Thursday, September 07, 2006

More money to be made here than the champagne room...

Atlanta @ Carolina

The Black Birds…er Falcons…travel to the Carolina Panthers in week one. This is a very big division game early. I think this game is much more important to Atlanta than Carolina. If Atlanta wants to join the elite in this division, they need to start winning some of these games on the road. Atlanta was one of the worst teams against the run last year (ranked 26) and made many efforts to fix this in the offseason…recently adding Grady Jackson…I think the Carolina Panthers will be more interested in testing that average pass D. I guess we will see how much of an impact John Abraham will have with the pass rush coming out of the gate. Carolina certainly can run if Foster is healthy, but they are more comfortable chucking it downfield to Steve and company. Smith injured his hamstring in practice earlier this week. All reports I see are that he is not going to be 100%, but will play. Luckily for the Panthers, Steve Smith at 75% is better than most WR’s in the league at 100%.

Carolina dominated the Falcons last year, winning the two games by a combined 68 – 17. Michael Vick looked confused trying to stay in the pocket and pass…the Carolina D also has the speed to contain him. Personally, I don’t see much different here. I think Abraham will help the Atlanta D, but Carolina has just too much talent at every position for the Birds…I am guessing the line will be Carolina by 5.5 and the total around 40…if this is the case, I would be very tempted to take Carolina and the over. Carolina will want to come out in its home opener and set the stage for the year. Of course, in the past this team has killed me in week 1…a few years ago, they upset MN on the road and I was out of my suicide pool. Last year, they laid an egg against the Aints at home in the opener…I personally think they felt bad for them and let them win. I like this team and think you better get on them early…of course, let’s see where the line is… “The Man” has the line at Carolina -5 and the total at 39 – I really like Carolina and the over in this one. Of course, this is under the assumption that Steve Smith starts. If Steve Smith is going to play, then make Carolina your first 2006 4 star pick. In addition, I really like the over in this game…I want to see Atlanta stop someone before I believe in that D…put 3 stars on the over.

Cinci @ KC

The Herm Edwards era in KC begins this weekend with a visit from the Cinci Bungles…I have to admit that Carson Palmer looked real good in his one preseason appearance…but let’s remember it was against the Packers and was preseason…the Chiefs added Ty Law in the offseason and he will be tested early and often in this game facing Chad and Housh… Luckily for the Chiefs, the Bengals stop the run about as well as ExLax would help stop a case of the runs…and Odell Thurman is out the first four games due to a suspension…what better way to defend Carson Palmer and that high powered offense than run the ball 50 times and keep them on the sidelines…the only problem is that LJ may have a lot of long runs and they will score too fast even on the ground…this game looks like one of those games that whoever has the ball last will win…

Being that Carson has had limited action, I would put the Chiefs as a small favorite and the total around 46…I would stay away from the line, although I am tempted to take the Chiefs…if this over/under is lower than 44, you must jump on it…both these teams will score…”The Man” has the Chiefs giving 2.5 and the total at 46.5 – I can’t see this game not going over this number…I am putting a 2 star play on the over in this game.

49ers at Cards

The 49ers will face the AZ Cardinals on the road to open the season…it is no secret that I don’t think much of the 49ers and the Cards could be a surprise this year…hey haven’t we said that every year for the last three years? I just don’t see how the worst defense against the pass can stop the high powered Cardinal attack…who is going to cover Fitz, Boldin, Johnson…and oh by the way they have this guy named Edge running the ball…

Alex Smith might end being a decent QB once all the pieces are put in place, but he nor they are in place now…the 49ers had the worst pass offense and gave up the 5th most sacks last year…how has this changed? Oh that’s right; you trade away your top WR…Antonio Bryant had a good year last year for the lowly Browns…so maybe he can replace Brandon Lloyd…I would have recommended adding him to the mix not replacing Lloyd…

I would put AZ as a TD favorite…the total should come in the low 40’s…once I see what the line is, I will opine…I like the Cards and would tend to go over anything over 42 because SF should be able to score some junk points at a minimum…”The Man” has AZ giving 7.5 and the total at 42.5 – I was really hoping the line was under a TD…but the hype around the Cards offense is out there…of course, I don’t understand this total being so low…put 3 stars on the over and Kurt and company will make you a happy man…

1 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger GuruBob said...

It is official...Steve Smith is not playing in week one, but I am still keeping the Panthers on the board...I would just downgrade it to a 2 star pick...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home