Thursday, October 19, 2006

Week seven - oh it's going to be heaven

Unless you are "The Man" that is...the Gurus come into this week a positive 1.3 stars...Lotion is an unprecedented 7 - 1...how much longer before we appear on Fox Sports Net?

GuruJoe has gone through all the key matchups and now we breakdown every game and try to find the nuggets.

The Defending Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers @ Atlanta

Atlanta gave up 250+ rushing yards last week. They have the worst passing offense in the league and the number one rushing offense in the league. One thing the Defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers do very well is stop the run. This doesn't look like a very good matchup for the Falcons. The Steelers love to run the ball and the run defense that I once called much improved has proven to not be so improved. The other key to this game could be the suspension of Guard Matt Lehr...he is key on the Falcons offensive line and this could be huge in pass blocking, which the line has struggled with at times.

I know the Defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers are favored by 1.5...the total should be in the high 30's...the over could be intriguing...I like my Steelers, but would not bet them on the road in Atlanta...Vick is always a little faster in the dome.

"The Man" is giving Altanta more points...the trend is on the Defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers...the total is 37.5...Atlanta is averaging a mere 12 points against decent teams, i.e. teams that know what a defense is (I took AZ out of the equation). The only problem I have with this over is the run first mentality of both teams...but the Steelers are growing on me, but maybe that is just my heart.

Pats @ Buffalo

The Bills played the Pats tougher than I expected in week 1 keeping this game within 2 points. This was before the Pats were comgin together on offense...playboy Tom Brady was thinking more of his mate Branch than who he could throw the ball to. The Bills got demolished by the Bears...then they lost to the cowardly Lions...people are realizing what the Gurus have been saying for weeks...their QB is a drive killer.

I think the Pats will be favored by about a TD and the total will be in the high 30's...I hate the road favorite and don't like them coming off a bye...if they beat Cinci by 20+ on the road and now they have two weeks to prepare for the Bills...seems like a no brainer...GuruJoe?

"The Man" has NE giving 5.5 and the total at 37.5...I don't like the total, but I am still intrigued by the line. Just Punt is not very good and now people are clamoring for a change...how long before the home crowd turns on him this week? This team is definitely going in the wrong direction as the season progresses...

Carolina @ Cinci

Carolina is 4 - 0 with Steve Smith...Cinci is still reeling with suspensions, arrests, and injuries...earlier in the year, I would have given the edge to Cinci, but they lost a heartbreaker to TB last week and can't stop the run. Carolina is clicking on both sides of the ball...they gave up two fluke TD's on deflections last week...

I would put this at around a pick 'em game or Carolina as a small favorite. I wouldn't touch the line, but would lean toward Carolina...I just don't know how Cinci can keep overcoming the obstacles. The total should be in the high 30's to low 40's...who knows which Cinci team will show up...this is a stay away game for this guru...

"The Man" has Cinci giving 3 and the total at 44.5. Cinci is so beat up and on a downward trend...Carolina meanwhile keeps rolling with Mr. Smith back...I wouldn't touch the total as the Cinci offense has been less than impressive. I am leaning toward riding the Carolina train again...

SD @ KC

I have said it numerous times...Arrowhead may be the toughest place to play in the NFL...KC will not be happy after the whipping they received last week...the question is does it matter how mad they are? Maybe they just aren't that good...to me this team is looking like another 9-7 record winning at home and losing on the road.

SD should be favored by about 3 or 4 and the total should be in the low 40's...I don't bet on road teams at Arrowhead...but the over might not be a bad play...

"The Man" has SD favored by 5.5 and the total at 41...ultimately that SD D is going to scare me away from this total...we saw what happened last week to KC...

GB @ Miami

I wouldn't touch this game for anything...Joey Harrington...Favre...two D's that are not very good...if you touch this game, you need help.

Pick 'em game and the total in the mid-30's...not that it matters...

"The Man" has Miami giving 5.5 points and the total at 40...I would not touch this game as I have said before, but should Miami be giving any team 5.5 points at this point.

Detroit @ NYJ

Is Detroit happy with the first win? Will this lead to a roll or complacency? NYJ keeps showing heart and playing hard...Chad and Coles are on the same page. Can they stop Kevin Jones? All these questions and more will be answered this Sunday.

I think the J.E.T.S. Jets Jets Jets should be favored by about 4 and the total in the low 40's...the over is intriguing to me here, but both teams performances last week scare me a little...I would stay away from the line...

"The Man" has NYJ giving 3.5 and the total at 42.5...stay away...

Jax @ Houston

Houston played Dallas tough for a half...is that a sign that they are improving or don't have the heart to play them for a full game? Meanwhle, Jax was sitting at home trying to get healed...Stroud, Jones, Peterson and McDougle are out...Byron, Cousin, and Wiley are questionable...these cats are beat up. However, some beat up pussy cats should be able to beat the Texans.

I am guessing the Jags are favored by about 6 and the total in the mid 30's. Based on the Jags injuries and Byron's last minute injury, this is a stay away game for this guru...but can Houston's 30th ranked offense do anything against the strong Jags D.

"The Man" has the Jags giving 9.5 and the total at 40.5...too many points on a beat up team on the road...however, the total looks a little high to me...Houston is averaging 14 points/game and I can't see them getting close to that against this D...the Jags are beat up and will try to run the ball and control the game...GuruJoe, please help me here...

Philly @ TB

Philly brings the #1 offense to TB for a key NFC matchup. TB does not have the stellar D that it once had ranking 9th against the pass, but near the bottom against the run. TB meanwhile has struggled all season on offense. Gradkowski has looked pretty good in his two starts, winning this past week against Cinci. Cadillac has struggled behind the below average O-line, but seems to be getting in gear. Both teams are somewhat banged up, but getting healthier.

I am guessing that Philly is favored by about 4 or 5 and the total will be around 44. Something tells me that TB may pull this one out...therefore, I am thinking of taking the points...we need to see the line. Last week, the over was intriguing to me with Cinci and TB and it went under...I am again thinking of going over again...GuruJoe, talk to me here...

"The Man" has Philly giving 5.5 and the total at 43...I would trend to TB as their play has improved as of late, but ultimately would stay away...I am still very intrigued by this over...shouldn't both teams score in the 20's easily? GuruJoe?

Denver @ Cleveland

The Broncos cost me a perfect week against Oakland. They attempted just 18 passes, completing 11 for 102 yards. They took no chances. They were content running the ball for 144 yards and not letting Oakland do anything. Think the game plan might be the same this week? Cleveland ranks 29th in rushing offense and 27th in passing offense...meanwhile, they rank 27th against the rush. Could be another inflated line.

I still think Cleveland sucks...I bet the line will be Denver favored by about 9 and the total in the mid 30's...the under might look interesting because both teams will run, run and run some more. I would stay away from the line due to the Oakland game.

"The Man" has Denver giving 4.5 and the total at 31.5...wow...this shocks me...I know Denver hasn't been lighting the world on fire, but this is Cleveland right? I wouldn't touch the total as Cleveland may not score on this D, but Denver has gone under all 5 games...time to get on this trend...not this small...4.5 seems really small...GuruJoe?

MN @ Seattle

Minnesota comes off the bye week healthy...and they need to be for this matchup. Seattle won a key NFC West matchup on the road last week. Seattle is a notorius average road team and almost unbeatable at home. Seattle will be without Shaun, Engram and Womack. I don't think the Vikes can come across country and beat this team. I will take a top NFC team against an average NFC North team.

Seattle should be favored by about 8 and the total around 39. Seattle can score, but MN's offense is more questionable than Anna Nicole's motives in marrying the old guy...Old Man Johnson should be next on her hit list.

"The Man" has Seattle winning this game by 6.5 and the total at 41...stay away game for me, but the under is intriguing as MN can play D and can't play O.

AZ @ Oakland

If Oakland doesn't win this game, then their only other chance on the schedule is Houston. AZ should have beaten the Bears. Does that loss demoralize them or motivate them? These are the type of emotional games that I stay away from.

AZ should be favored by about a TD and the total in the mid-40's...the over might be a good play. AZ will score on the Raiders...let's see the final total.

"The Man" has the Cards giving 3 and the total at 40...the line and total seem low to me...but I wouldn't touch the line. The total however is intriguing...Oakland has scored 20 points against lesser D's (Cleve and SF)...there is no doubt AZ will score 30 is there?

Skins @ Indi

The Skins got beat by the Titans...things are getting bad. The good news is that Indi has had some major problems stopping the run. Bob Sanders is still probably going to be out. Anthony McFarland looks to play, but may be limited in the number of plays. The Skins most likely get Shawn Springs back in the starting lineup, which should help the defense. The question is whether Brunell and the offense can wake up.

The bad news for the Skins is the Colts are had two weeks to prepare for them. I am guessing that Indi will be favored by about 9 or 10 and the total will be in the mid 40's...the over might be the play. Let's see the final total.

"The Man" has Indi giving up 9 and the total at 48.5...can't touch this game...

NYG @ Dallas

In probably the game of the week, the G-men travel to the circus...the problem is the circus may have left town. TO got 3 TD's last week and their is no talk of TO this week. Dallas is the #1 rush defense. Tiki has announced that this is probably going to be is last year. Monday night in Dallas is tough to overcome though.

Dallas should be a FG favorite and the total in the mid-40's...I see a shootout here...both teams like to run first, but the rush defenses may dictate the teams to look to pass more...we will withhold judgment on this game until Monday.

"The Man" has Dallas favored by 3 and the total at 45...I don't like the line, but the total is still intriguing to me...GuruJoe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home