Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sweet 16 + the Holiday Season = A Happy New Year

Gurus hit a couple of big ones last week and split the rest of the weekend for the most part. Our total ended up at negative 21.1 for the year. It is too late to give you the Chiefs as a lock, but it was posted to paying customers. We shall see if it hits. In case anyone doubts the gurus dedication to these pages, I am sitting in a bedroom at my sister-in-laws acting sick to write this up and watch the Chiefs game online as they don't get the NFL network. Let's get right into week 16.

Titans @ Bills

One these teams playoff lives will be killed tomorrow and the other will still be on the outside looking in and hoping Santa can deliver an early present. The Titans are thinking they got their early Christmas present last April when Vince Young slipped to them. He has been a leader and playing solid. Is it possible that Just Punt (JP) doesn't suck as bad as these gurus think? The Titans come into this one with 5 wins ATS in a row and the Bills are at least 7...so something has to give.

Bills are giving 4.5 and the total at 36.5. I would ultimately stay away from both, but like the Bills and over.

Saints @ Giants

The Saints travel to the Meadowlands after a disappointing showing last week against the Redskins. Does this mean this week is the back to surprising people? Meanwhile, Michael Strahan looks to see some action this week after practicing several days this week. He is the emotional and physical leader on this defense.

The Giants are giving the home field 3 and the total is at 47.5. I am really torn here as both teams have been enigmas this year. The Saints kill the Cowboys, then lose to the Redskins. Ultimately, I am going to say that Strahan makes a play in his return and gets the Giants the victory and cover. I would ultimate also go with under the total...the Meadowlands are never easy to play in and the winds should be blowing despite the unseasonably warm weather. No official play here.

Panthers @ Falcons

Weinke or Vick? I think I will take Michael Vick in this one. The Panthers are reeling and are one of the biggest disappointments in the league this year as many experts had them going all the way, but you can't predict losing 3 OL and a starting MLB...not to mention other injuries throughout the year.

The Falcons are favored by 6 and the total at 40.5. I would trend with the Falcons and under. These two teams should be able to contain each other offenses...however, I ultimately wouldn't touch.

Redskins @ Rams

The Rams have been terrible since Orlando Pace got hurt and they weren't so good before his injury...and no I don't count the Rams victory at Raiders as a "big win". The Redskins have been playing some good defense and Jason Campbell continues to get better.

The Rams are giving 2 and the total at 43.5. I would trend to the Redskins to pull the mild upset and under the total, but no official play here.

Colts @ Texans

Colts travel to Houston after having dominated the Bungles in virtually every aspect of the game last week. The offense is on fire and the defense actually played decent. It is amazing what a 10 point lead does to a D. The Texans meanwhile got embarassed as this guru predicted last week in New England.

The Colts are giving 9 on the road and the total is at 46.5. The gurus have been killed by the big road favorites. I just can't see the Texans keeping this close, especially since the Colts are still playing for a bye. Take the Colts and go over the total. Colts are a 3 star play.

Ravens @ Steelers

The Ravens embarassed my Super Bowl Defending Pittsburgh Steelers about 4 weeks ago. The Steelers have gone a a run winning 3 in a row and demolishing each opponent. Should I note that the combined record of those three teams they beat is 13 - 29. However, this is how you build confidence. I am most concerned with a rookie right tackle starting for the Steelers after Ben got sacked 9 times last meeting.

The Steelers are giving 3.5 and the total at 36.5. I can't see the Steelers giving 3.5 to a team of this caliber, but how often do you see the next game flip completely. Therefore, I am going to take the Steelers and give the points and go over the total. No official play, but just trying to make sense of something that makes no sense.

TB @ Browns

The Browns are still playing Derek Anderson. Tim Rattay gets his first start of the year for the Bucs. These are two horrible teams playing for nothing. Cadillac will stay in the garage for this one.

Browns are giving 3 points and the total at 36.5. I think you all know by now that I would never play this game, but I would trend to the Bucs and the over.

Bears @ Lions

This is a typical end of the year trap game. The Bears have nothing to play for as they have clinched home field throughout the NFC playoffs. The Lions stink. They are terrible and are in the Brady Quinn running. The Bears will be happy to get out healthy. The Lions wish they didn't have to play any more this year.

The Bears are giving 5.5 and the total is at 42. I would go under the total, but nothing official. I am going to take the underdogs in this one as the Bears are missing their interior DL and have no reason to play. No official plays here.

Pats @ Jags

The Jaguars are playing host to the Patriots. The Patriots are on the outside looking in for a bye, but still have potential. The Jaguars need to start winning to make the playoffs. The 3 defensive TD's obviously cost them the game against the Titans. The Jaguars are 6 - 1 at home comapared to 2 - 5 on the road. The Patriots meanwhile have a very solid 5 - 1 record on the road. Which Patriots team will show up?

The Jaguars are giving 3 and the total is 37. I hate this game, but would ultimately go with the Jaguars at home based on their tough physical D. I would also trend to go over the total, but would stay away.

Cardinals @ 49ers

The Cardinals got their proverbial butts handed to them last week. The 49ers meanwhile have a shot at the NFC West title with two Seattle losses, which is possible based on their schedule. Matt Leinart is starting to play better, but this is still the Cardinals.

The 49ers are giving 4 and the total at 45. Is it posisble that I am making a rated play on the 49ers and small hands Smith? Yes it is...this team has shown they have some fight left in them adn the home crowd should be able to keep them up. I would trend to go under the total, but would stay away. 49ers are a 2 star play.

Bengals @ Broncos

Bungles hit the road on short rest to face the Broncos. Jay Cutler had a good game against the Cardinals last week. If there is one place you would not want to travel to on short rest, I am guessing Denver would be at the top of that list. I am wondering if the Bengals have the heart and toughness to stay in this game.

The Broncos are giving 3 and the total at 44. I would go under the total and take the mules, but no official play as I want to see Jay get it done against a real team before I start making them official selections.

SD @ Seattle

The Seahawks have always been a much better home team than road team. They are fighting for their playoff lives. They just got embarassed at home by the 49ers. Is it possible these guys just aren't that good? Maybe Steve Hutchinson is that important. The Chargers meanwhile keep plugging away and dominating everyone in their path.

The Chargers are giving 4.5 and the total is at 46. I love the Chargers in this game as they have been solid and the Hawks struggle to stop the run...did I mention LT yet. I also like the over in this one. I am going with my gut as I did last week and split. I am taking the Chargers for 2 stars and the over for 3 stars. If you haver the cajones that I do, then you would make it a parlay for 2 as well. BTW, this is the first official parlay call this year.

Eagles @ Cowboys

Jeff Garcia is playing great with only one INT since taking over for McNabb. Romo has come back to earth for the Cowboys, but still getting it done. The Eagles have their playoff destiny in their own hands. The Cowboys are playing for a bye. This should be a great Christmas gift to all of us football fans.

The Cowboys are giving 7 and the total at 46.5. I would trend to go with the Cowboys, but would stay away. I love the over here. Take the over for 4 stars.

NYJ @ Fins

I can't figure out either of these teams, so there won't be any official plays. I like the Fins to play spoiler to their hated Jet rivals. But I hoenstly don't have a good pulse on this game. The total is 37. I would normally say go under, but something tells me this one ends up being one of those wild games these teams play. Take the over, but no official play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home